RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||846||0.8||1.7||787||0.8||1.5||+59|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||11,569||11.6||11.6||11,233||11.2||11.6||+336|
|Architecture and Building||4,562||4.6||4.8||4,480||4.5||4.6||+82|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||2,378||2.4||1.5||2,110||2.1||1.4||+268|
|Management and Commerce||9,604||9.6||13.5||8,396||8.4||11.7||+1,208|
|Society and Culture||7,407||7.4||7.9||5,871||5.9||6.6||+1,536|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,348||4.4||4.0||3,879||3.9||3.7||+469|
|Mixed Field Programmes||86||0.1||0.1||47||0.0||0.1||+39|
|Not stated or inadequately described||2,848||2.9||2.6||3,371||3.4||3.3||-523|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (11,569 people or 11.6%)
- Management and Commerce (9,604 people or 9.6%)
- Health (7,609 people or 7.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 28,782 people in total or 28.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.5% in Management and Commerce and 7.7% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (9.6% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (0.9% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (6.7% compared to 5.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (0.7% compared to 1.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region decreased by 326 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Wide Bay Burnett Region was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+1,536 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+1,208 resident workers)
- Health (+1,045 resident workers)
- Education (+628 resident workers)