RDA Yorke and Mid North Region
About the area
ABS ERP 2018
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
The Wakefield Regional Council is named after the Wakefield River, which was named after E G Wakefield, originator of the system of colonization under which South Australia was founded.
Location and boundaries
The Wakefield Regional Council area is located in the Yorke and Mid North Region of South Australia, about 100 kilometres north of the Adelaide CBD. The Wakefield Regional Council area is bounded by the Port Pirie Regional Council area and the Northern Areas Council area in the north, the Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council area in the east, the Light Regional Council area and the Adelaide Plains Council area in the south, and Gulf St Vincent, the Yorke Peninsula Council area and the Barunga West Council area in the west.
The Wakefield Regional Council area includes the localities of Alma (part), Avon, Balaklava, Barabba (part), Barunga Gap, Beaufort, Blyth, Bowillia, Bowmans, Brinkworth, Bumbunga, Burnsfield, Bute (part), Condowie, Dalkey, Erith, Everard Central, Goyder, Grace Plains (part), Halbury (part), Hamley Bridge (part), Hart, Hope Gap, Hoskin Corner, Hoyleton (part), Inkerman, Kallora, Kybunga, Lake View, Lochiel, Long Plains (part), Marola, Mount Templeton, Mundoora (part), Nantawarra, Owen, Pinery, Port Wakefield, Proof Range, Rochester, Saints, Salter Springs (part), Snowtown, South Hummocks (part), Stockyard Creek, Stow, Watchman, Whitwarta, Wild Horse Plains (part) and Wokurna (part).
The Wakefield Regional Council area is predominantly rural, with a township at Balaklava, and smaller townships at Blyth, Brinkworth, Hamley Bridge, Lochiel, Owen, Port Wakefield and Snowtown. Rural land is used largely for farming and agriculture. The Council area encompasses a total land area of over 3,400 square kilometres.
The Wakefield Regional Council area is served by the Princes Highway and Port Wakefield Road.
European settlement of the area dates from 1847, with land used mainly for grain growing and sheep grazing. The township of Port Wakefield was established as a port in 1850 to service the nearby copper mines, and then the wool and wheat industries. Growth took place during the late 1800s when several smaller townships were established and the railway line was opened. The population fluctuated slightly in recent years.
The original inhabitants of the Wakefield Regional Council area were the Kaurna Aboriginal people.