There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Barunga West Council than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Barunga West Council's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Barunga West Council or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Barunga West Council, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Barunga West Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||6||0.7||2.1||5||0.5||1.9||+1|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||112||12.3||10.9||87||9.4||10.9||+25|
|Architecture and Building||12||1.3||3.6||16||1.7||3.3||-4|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||43||4.7||1.9||36||3.9||1.7||+7|
|Management and Commerce||64||7.0||12.9||61||6.6||11.4||+3|
|Society and Culture||44||4.8||8.9||46||5.0||7.4||-2|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||20||2.2||3.6||22||2.4||3.4||-2|
|Mixed Field Programmes||4||0.4||0.1||0||0||0.1||+4|
|Not stated or inadequately described||30||3.3||2.5||21||2.3||3.3||+9|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Barunga West Council shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (112 people or 12.3%)
- Health (69 people or 7.6%)
- Management and Commerce (64 people or 7.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 245 people in total or 26.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 10.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 8.6% in Health and 12.9% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Barunga West Council and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (7.0% compared to 12.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (4.8% compared to 8.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (4.7% compared to 1.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (1.3% compared to 3.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Barunga West Council decreased by 15 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Barunga West Council was for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+25 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (+9 resident workers)
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (+7 resident workers)
- Health (+7 resident workers)