43.5% of the resident workers (All industries) in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Yorke and Mid North Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||505||12.2||12.8||526||12.5||12.0||-21|
|16 hours - 24 hours||462||11.1||10.4||444||10.5||9.8||+18|
|25 hours - 34 hours||550||13.2||13.1||474||11.2||11.7||+76|
|35 hours - 39 hours||542||13.1||20.6||548||13.0||19.8||-6|
|41 hours - 48 hours||398||9.6||9.2||436||10.3||10.2||-38|
|49 hours or more||759||18.3||13.1||911||21.6||14.5||-152|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (5.0% compared to 3.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.1% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.1% compared to 20.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.3% compared to 13.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council decreased by 163 people (-6.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-152 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+76 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-38 persons)
- 40 hours (+33 persons)