Northern Areas Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
48.4% of the resident workers in Northern Areas Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Northern Areas Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Northern Areas Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Northern Areas Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||256||12.8||12.8||245||11.7||12.0||+11||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||209||10.5||10.4||221||10.5||9.8||-12||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||235||11.8||13.1||209||10.0||11.7||+26||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||210||10.5||20.6||228||10.9||19.8||-18||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||200||10.0||9.2||218||10.4||10.2||-18||22007|
|49 hours or more||486||24.3||13.1||563||26.8||14.5||-77||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Northern Areas Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Northern Areas Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.3% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (10.5% compared to 20.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.1% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.8% compared to 13.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Northern Areas Council area decreased by 119 people (9.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Northern Areas Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-77 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+26 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-18 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-18 people)