Port Pirie Regional Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
40.3% of the resident workers in Port Pirie Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Port Pirie Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Port Pirie Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Port Pirie Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||864||13.3||12.8||888||13.4||12.0||-24||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||741||11.4||10.4||693||10.5||9.8||+48||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||831||12.8||13.1||754||11.4||11.7||+77||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,055||16.2||20.6||1,066||16.1||19.8||-11||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||777||11.9||9.2||859||13.0||10.2||-82||22007|
|49 hours or more||914||14.1||13.1||966||14.6||14.5||-52||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Port Pirie Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.4% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Port Pirie Regional Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (11.9% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.4% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.2% compared to 20.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.3% compared to 15.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Port Pirie Regional Council area decreased by 158 people (4.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Port Pirie Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-82 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+77 people)
- 49 hours or more (-52 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+48 people)