42.5% of the resident workers (All industries) in Mid North Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Mid North Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Mid North Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Yorke and Mid North Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,058||12.2||12.8||1,104||12.5||12.0||-46|
|16 hours - 24 hours||931||10.8||10.4||880||10.0||9.8||+51|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,138||13.2||13.1||998||11.3||11.7||+140|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,239||14.3||20.6||1,130||12.8||19.8||+109|
|41 hours - 48 hours||766||8.9||9.2||895||10.2||10.2||-129|
|49 hours or more||1,687||19.5||13.1||1,960||22.3||14.5||-273|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Mid North Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Mid North Region and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (4.6% compared to 3.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (14.3% compared to 20.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.2% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (19.5% compared to 13.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Mid North Region decreased by 364 people (-6.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Mid North Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-273 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+140 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-129 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+109 persons)