42.8% of the resident workers (All industries) in Southern Flinders Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.7% in South Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Southern Flinders Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Southern Flinders Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|RDA Yorke and Mid North Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,384||13.0||12.8||1,454||13.3||12.0||-70|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,175||11.0||10.4||1,115||10.2||9.8||+60|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,344||12.6||13.1||1,207||11.0||11.7||+137|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,537||14.4||20.6||1,561||14.3||19.8||-24|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,129||10.6||9.2||1,263||11.6||10.2||-134|
|49 hours or more||1,924||18.0||13.1||2,149||19.7||14.5||-225|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Southern Flinders Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Southern Flinders Region and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (14.4% compared to 20.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.2% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (10.6% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.0% compared to 13.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Southern Flinders Region decreased by 343 people (-5.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Southern Flinders Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-225 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+137 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-134 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-70 persons)