Barunga West Council
Resident workers - Industry
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of Barunga West Council’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Barunga West Council residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Barunga West Council, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Barunga West Council are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Barunga West Council||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional SA%||Number||%||Regional SA%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||290||32.6||14.6||299||32.3||14.3||-9||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||10||1.1||1.1||19||2.0||1.2||-9||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||55||6.2||6.7||67||7.2||6.8||-12||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||32||3.6||4.1||33||3.6||4.3||-1||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||3||0.3||0.6||5||0.5||0.7||-2||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||8||0.9||1.3||0||0.0||1.4||+8||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||4||0.4||1.0||6||0.6||1.0||-2||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||18||2.0||2.6||16||1.7||2.4||+2||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||14||1.6||3.3||8||0.9||3.1||+6||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||21||2.4||5.0||39||4.2||4.8||-18||39000||P|
|Education and Training||70||7.9||7.6||71||7.7||7.0||-1||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||138||15.5||12.1||125||13.5||11.5||+13||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||0||0.0||0.8||0||0.0||0.8||0||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||25||2.8||3.4||17||1.8||2.0||+8||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Barunga West Council in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (290 people or 32.6%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (138 people or 15.5%)
- Education and Training (70 people or 7.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 498 people in total or 56.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional SA employed 14.6% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 12.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; and 7.6% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Barunga West Council and Regional SA were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (32.6% compared to 14.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.5% compared to 12.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (4.3% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (5.8% compared to 10.4%)
There were no major changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Barunga West Council.