Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of District Council of Peterborough's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which District Council of Peterborough residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in District Council of Peterborough, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in District Council of Peterborough are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|District Council of Peterborough - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||73||14.9||4.0||76||13.3||3.7||-3|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||0||0||1.2||0||0||1.3||--|
|Accommodation and Food Services||55||11.2||6.7||52||9.1||5.9||+3|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||21||4.3||4.1||29||5.1||3.9||-8|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||9||1.8||1.3||3||0.5||1.4||+6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||5||1.0||2.7||4||0.7||2.8||+1|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||0||0||1.3||0||0||1.2||--|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||0||0||5.6||4||0.7||5.2||-4|
|Administrative and Support Services||8||1.6||3.6||21||3.7||3.2||-13|
|Public Administration and Safety||36||7.3||7.1||36||6.3||6.7||--|
|Education and Training||41||8.4||8.6||42||7.3||7.5||-1|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||64||13.1||14.8||72||12.6||12.8||-8|
|Arts and Recreation Services||4||0.8||1.4||0||0||1.2||+4|
|Industry not classified||29||5.9||3.3||15||2.6||1.8||+14|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in District Council of Peterborough in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (73 people or 14.9%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (64 people or 13.1%)
- Retail Trade (60 people or 12.2%)
In combination these three industries employed 197 people in total or 40.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, South Australia employed 4.0% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 14.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 10.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of District Council of Peterborough and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (14.9% compared to 4.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (11.2% compared to 6.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (4.1% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Other Services (0.6% compared to 3.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in District Council of Peterborough were for those employed in:
- Wholesale Trade (-16 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+14 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (+13 resident workforce)
- Administrative and Support Services (-13 resident workforce)