Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Managers in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||555||13.4||13.4||587||13.9||14.1||-32|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||387||9.3||12.0||336||8.0||10.5||+51|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||460||11.1||13.3||470||11.1||14.4||-10|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||270||6.5||6.1||243||5.8||6.4||+27|
|Inadequately described or not stated||49||1.2||1.5||55||1.3||1.6||-6|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (863 people or 20.8%)
- Labourers (618 people or 14.9%)
- Professionals (613 people or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,094 people in total or 50.5% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 12.6% in Managers; 11.1% in Labourers and 20.3% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (20.8% compared to 12.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (14.8% compared to 20.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (14.9% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (9.3% compared to 12.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council decreased by 75 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Clare & Gilbert Valleys Council were those employed as:
- Managers (-85 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+51 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-32 persons)
- Professionals (-31 persons)