Northern Areas Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Managers in Northern Areas Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Northern Areas Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Northern Areas Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||271||13.5||13.4||277||13.2||14.1||-6|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||172||8.6||12.0||165||7.9||10.5||+7|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||172||8.6||13.3||180||8.6||14.4||-8|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||160||8.0||6.1||167||8.0||6.4||-7|
|Inadequately described or not stated||21||1.0||1.5||39||1.9||1.6||-18|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Northern Areas Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (544 people or 27.2%)
- Professionals (281 people or 14.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (271 people or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,096 people in total or 54.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 12.6% in Managers; 20.3% in Professionals and 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Northern Areas Council area and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (27.2% compared to 12.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (14.0% compared to 20.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (8.6% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (8.6% compared to 12.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Northern Areas Council area decreased by 89 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Northern Areas Council area were those employed as:
- Managers (-59 persons)
- Inadequately described or not stated (-18 persons)
- Sales Workers (+12 persons)
- Labourers (-9 persons)