Mid North Region
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Mid North Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||1,261||15.5||25.9||1,167||14.2||22.1||+94|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||764||9.4||10.6||686||8.3||9.4||+78|
|Certificate I and II Level||165||2.0||1.5||164||2.0||1.6||+1|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,878||23.1||21.4||1,662||20.2||20.0||+216|
|Certificate Level, nfd||208||2.6||2.2||168||2.0||1.9||+40|
|Inadequately described or not stated||292||3.6||2.7||336||4.1||3.9||-44|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Mid North Region in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 52.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 43.8% had no qualifications, compared with 61.5% and 35.8% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Mid North Region and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (15.5% compared to 25.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (43.8% compared to 35.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.1% compared to 21.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.4% compared to 10.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Mid North Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-483 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+216 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+94 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+78 local workers)