Mid North Region
Local workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within Mid North Region, there is a similar proportion of local All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce.
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for Mid North Region is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in Mid North Region, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Mid North Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||5,033||61.9||83.0||4,833||58.8||72.0||+200|
|Car, as passenger||359||4.4||0||355||4.3||6.0||+4|
|Other - multiple methods||138||1.7||0||184||2.2||0||-46|
|Worked at home||959||11.8||6.4||1,072||13.1||6.0||-113|
|Did not go to work||900||11.1||10.6||845||10.3||16.0||+55|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 17 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Mid North Region, compared with 5,487 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in Mid North Region in 2016 compared to the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce within Mid North Region shows that 0.2% used public transport, while 67.5% used a private vehicle, compared with 0% and 83.0% respectively in the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce within Mid North Region.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in Mid North Region and the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (61.9% compared to 83.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who walked only (6.0% compared to 0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked at home (11.8% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as passenger (4.4% compared to 0%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in Mid North Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+200 local workers)
- Walked only (-137 local workers)
- Worked at home (-113 local workers)
- Did not go to work (+55 local workers)