City of Rockingham
Resident workers - Industry
Construction employs more of the City of Rockingham’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Rockingham residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Rockingham, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Rockingham are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Rockingham||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||382||0.7||2.5||312||0.6||2.4||+70||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||756||1.4||1.2||625||1.3||1.1||+131||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,137||5.7||6.4||2,564||5.3||5.9||+573||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,346||4.3||4.6||2,148||4.5||4.5||+198||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||460||0.8||1.0||364||0.8||1.1||+96||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||977||1.8||2.4||877||1.8||2.5||+100||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||912||1.7||1.7||816||1.7||1.7||+96||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,215||4.0||6.4||2,116||4.4||7.2||+99||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,715||3.1||3.3||1,562||3.2||3.1||+153||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,103||9.3||6.2||4,531||9.4||6.2||+572||39000||P|
|Education and Training||4,229||7.7||8.7||3,248||6.8||8.0||+981||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,101||11.1||11.7||4,776||9.9||10.4||+1,325||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||755||1.4||1.6||583||1.2||1.3||+172||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||2,533||4.6||4.6||1,099||2.3||2.2||+1,434||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Rockingham in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (6,395 people or 11.7%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,101 people or 11.1%)
- Retail Trade (5,775 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 18,271 people in total or 33.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 9.8% in Construction; 11.7% in Health Care and Social Assistance; and 9.5% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Rockingham and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (9.3% compared to 6.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (7.6% compared to 5.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.7% compared to 9.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.0% compared to 6.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Rockingham were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,566 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,434 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,325 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+981 resident workforce)