Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Rockingham residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Rockingham, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Rockingham are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Rockingham - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||392||0.6||2.3||382||0.7||2.5||+10|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||819||1.3||1.2||756||1.4||1.2||+63|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,749||5.9||6.5||3,137||5.7||6.4||+612|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,569||4.1||4.5||2,346||4.3||4.6||+223|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||354||0.6||0.8||460||0.8||1.0||-106|
|Financial and Insurance Services||909||1.4||2.2||977||1.8||2.4||-68|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||761||1.2||1.4||912||1.7||1.7||-151|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,589||4.1||6.9||2,215||4.0||6.4||+374|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,025||3.2||3.1||1,715||3.1||3.3||+310|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,578||8.9||5.9||5,103||9.3||6.2||+475|
|Education and Training||5,317||8.4||8.8||4,229||7.7||8.7||+1,088|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||7,963||12.6||13.6||6,101||11.1||11.7||+1,862|
|Arts and Recreation Services||791||1.3||1.6||755||1.4||1.6||+36|
|Industry not classified||2,952||4.7||4.6||2,533||4.6||4.6||+419|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Rockingham in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (7,963 people or 12.6%)
- Construction (6,482 people or 10.3%)
- Retail Trade (6,065 people or 9.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 20,510 people in total or 32.5% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 13.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.8% in Construction and 8.8% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Rockingham and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (8.9% compared to 5.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.1% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (7.5% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.6% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Rockingham were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,862 resident workforce)
- Mining (+1,664 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,088 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+612 resident workforce)