City of Rockingham
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the City of Rockingham, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Western Australia.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in City of Rockingham will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Rockingham;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Rockingham - All industries||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,450||14.8||16.4||0||--||--||+4,450||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,922||16.4||10.5||0||--||--||+4,922||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,176||10.6||12.9||0||--||--||+3,176||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,357||4.5||7.6||0||--||--||+1,357||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||474||1.6||1.7||0||--||--||+474||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the in City of Rockingham in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,244 local workers or 17.4%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,922 local workers or 16.4%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,450 local workers or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 14,616 people in total or 48.6% of the local workers .
In comparison, Western Australia employed 20.4% as Professionals; 10.5% as Community and Personal Service Workers; and 16.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the in the City of Rockingham and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (16.4% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (14.4% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.5% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (17.4% compared to 20.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the City of Rockingham between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Professionals (+5,244 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+4,922 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+4,450 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+4,329 local workers)