Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Rockingham will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Rockingham;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Rockingham - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,097||14.6||15.4||4,450||14.8||16.4||+647|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,306||18.1||11.8||4,922||16.4||10.5||+1,384|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,323||9.5||12.0||3,176||10.6||12.9||+147|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,710||4.9||7.8||1,357||4.5||7.6||+353|
|Inadequately described or not stated||530||1.5||1.7||474||1.6||1.7||+56|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Rockingham in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (6,544 local workers or 18.8%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (6,306 local workers or 18.1%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (5,097 local workers or 14.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 17,947 people in total or 51.5% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 21.9% as Professionals; 11.8% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 15.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Rockingham and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (18.1% compared to 11.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (12.4% compared to 7.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (18.8% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.9% compared to 7.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Rockingham between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,384 local workers)
- Professionals (+1,300 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+647 local workers)
- Managers (+466 local workers)