Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Rockingham will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Rockingham;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Rockingham - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,450||14.8||16.4||4,101||15.8||16.8||+349|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,922||16.4||10.5||4,067||15.7||9.4||+855|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,176||10.6||12.9||2,983||11.5||14.3||+193|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,357||4.5||7.6||1,311||5.1||7.7||+46|
|Inadequately described or not stated||474||1.6||1.7||358||1.4||1.5||+116|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Rockingham in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,244 local workers or 17.4%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,922 local workers or 16.4%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,450 local workers or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 14,616 people in total or 48.6% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 20.4% as Professionals; 10.5% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 16.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Rockingham and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (16.4% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (14.4% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.5% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (17.4% compared to 20.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Rockingham between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+992 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+855 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+794 local workers)
- Labourers (+434 local workers)