There are more resident workers (All industries) Technicians and Trades Workers in the City of Salisbury than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Salisbury's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Salisbury||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||8,550||14.9||13.4||9,145||16.1||14.1||-595|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,677||13.4||12.0||6,403||11.2||10.5||+1,274|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||7,882||13.7||13.3||8,628||15.1||14.4||-746|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||5,575||9.7||6.1||5,781||10.2||6.4||-206|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,080||1.9||1.5||1,163||2.0||1.6||-83|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Salisbury in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (8,550 people or 14.9%)
- Labourers (8,471 people or 14.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (7,882 people or 13.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 24,903 people in total or 43.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 11.1% in Labourers and 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Salisbury and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (12.9% compared to 20.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (8.6% compared to 12.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (14.8% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.7% compared to 6.1%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Salisbury increased by 462 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Salisbury were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,274 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-746 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-595 persons)
- Professionals (+357 persons)