Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Salisbury's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Salisbury||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||9,266||14.5||13.2||8,550||14.9||13.4||+716|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,449||14.8||13.0||7,677||13.4||12.0||+1,772|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||8,112||12.7||12.5||7,882||13.7||13.3||+230|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,226||9.8||6.0||5,575||9.7||6.1||+651|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,417||2.2||1.8||1,080||1.9||1.5||+337|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Salisbury in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (9,449 people or 14.8%)
- Labourers (9,267 people or 14.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (9,266 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 27,982 people in total or 43.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 13.0% in Community and Personal Service Workers; 10.5% in Labourers and 13.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Salisbury and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (14.0% compared to 21.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (8.7% compared to 13.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (14.5% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.8% compared to 6.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Salisbury increased by 6,362 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Salisbury were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,772 persons)
- Professionals (+1,517 persons)
- Labourers (+796 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+716 persons)