Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Salisbury - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||14,496||26.8||30.6||9,968||22.0||25.9||+4,528|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,332||9.9||10.3||4,543||10.0||10.6||+789|
|Certificate I and II Level||847||1.6||1.5||713||1.6||1.5||+134|
|Certificate III & IV Level||12,375||22.9||21.6||10,462||23.1||21.4||+1,913|
|Certificate Level, nfd||800||1.5||1.7||836||1.8||2.2||-36|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,126||2.1||2.1||1,130||2.5||2.7||-4|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Salisbury in 2021 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 62.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 35.3% had no qualifications, compared with 65.8% and 32.2% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Salisbury and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (26.8% compared to 30.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (35.3% compared to 32.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (22.9% compared to 21.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.9% compared to 10.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Salisbury between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,528 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,913 local workers)
- No qualification (+1,439 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+789 local workers)