Construction employs more of the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||349||2.7||2.5||312||3.4||2.3||+37|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||151||1.2||1.2||109||1.2||1.1||+42|
|Accommodation and Food Services||535||4.2||6.4||314||3.4||5.6||+221|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||879||6.8||4.6||549||6.0||4.3||+330|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||79||0.6||1.0||60||0.7||1.0||+19|
|Financial and Insurance Services||210||1.6||2.4||148||1.6||2.4||+62|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||228||1.8||1.7||167||1.8||1.7||+61|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||527||4.1||6.4||407||4.4||6.9||+120|
|Administrative and Support Services||367||2.9||3.3||219||2.4||3.0||+148|
|Public Administration and Safety||779||6.1||6.2||499||5.4||6.0||+280|
|Education and Training||847||6.6||8.7||581||6.3||7.6||+266|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,298||10.1||11.7||708||7.7||9.9||+590|
|Arts and Recreation Services||220||1.7||1.6||151||1.6||1.3||+69|
|Industry not classified||659||5.1||4.6||223||2.4||2.1||+436|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (1,686 people or 13.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,298 people or 10.1%)
- Retail Trade (1,255 people or 9.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 4,239 people in total or 32.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 9.8% in Construction; 11.7% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.5% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (13.1% compared to 9.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.1% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (4.2% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (6.8% compared to 4.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+590 resident workforce)
- Construction (+480 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+436 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (+373 resident workforce)