Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Western Australia.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale - All industries||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||774||16.9||16.4||0||--||--||+774||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||552||12.1||10.5||0||--||--||+552||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||534||11.7||12.9||0||--||--||+534||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||467||10.2||7.6||0||--||--||+467||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||67||1.5||1.7||0||--||--||+67||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (774 local workers or 16.9%)
- Labourers (683 local workers or 14.9%)
- Professionals (614 local workers or 13.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,071 people in total or 45.3% of the local workers .
In comparison, Western Australia employed 16.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 9.8% as Labourers; and 20.4% as Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (14.9% compared to 9.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.2% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (13.4% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (6.2% compared to 8.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+774 local workers)
- Labourers (+683 local workers)
- Professionals (+614 local workers)
- Managers (+599 local workers)