Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale
Local workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2016 - 2021|
|Car, as driver||4,093||64.1||62.5||2,909||63.4||62.9||+1,184|
|Car, as passenger||378||5.9||4.7||206||4.5||4.9||+172|
|Other - multiple methods||33||0.5||1.5||73||1.6||2.1||-40|
|Worked at home||816||12.8||7.4||553||12.1||4.2||+263|
|Did not go to work||683||10.7||11.8||450||9.8||10.2||+233|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2021, there were 40 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, compared with 4,578 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale in 2021 compared to the Western Australia workforce within the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale shows that 0.6% used public transport, while 71.7% used a private vehicle, compared with 7.4% and 68.1% respectively in Western Australia.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale and the Western Australia workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked at home (12.8% compared to 7.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by train (0.3% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by bus (0.3% compared to 3.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (64.1% compared to 62.5%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale between2016 and 2021 were:
- Car, as driver (+1,184 local workers)
- Worked at home (+263 local workers)
- Did not go to work (+233 local workers)
- Car, as passenger (+172 local workers)