Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of South Perth's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of South Perth depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of South Perth - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,757||13.3||11.9||2,553||12.0||10.8||+204|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,213||10.7||9.9||2,079||9.7||9.2||+134|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,033||9.8||10.7||1,827||8.6||9.5||+206|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,244||15.6||17.2||3,178||14.9||15.8||+66|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,045||9.9||9.5||2,455||11.5||10.9||-410|
|49 hours or more||3,438||16.6||17.3||3,956||18.5||19.6||-518|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of South Perth's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of South Perth and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.3% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.8% compared to 10.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.6% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (19.6% compared to 17.8%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of South Perth decreased by 878 people (-6.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of South Perth between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-518 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-410 persons)
- None (-242 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+206 persons)