City of South Perth
Resident workers - Hours worked
46.0% of the resident workers in the City of South Perth work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of South Perth's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of South Perth depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of South Perth||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,757||13.3||11.9||2,553||12.0||10.8||+204||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,213||10.7||9.9||2,079||9.7||9.2||+134||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,033||9.8||10.7||1,827||8.6||9.5||+206||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,244||15.6||17.2||3,178||14.9||15.8||+66||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,045||9.9||9.5||2,455||11.5||10.9||-410||22007|
|49 hours or more||3,438||16.6||17.3||3,956||18.5||19.6||-518||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of South Perth's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.0% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of South Perth and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (19.6% compared to 17.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.3% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.6% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.8% compared to 10.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of South Perth decreased by 878 people (6.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of South Perth between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-518 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-410 people)
- None (-242 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+206 people)