City of South Perth
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of South Perth - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||5,450||42.4||27.4||4,553||36.9||23.2||+897|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,649||12.8||10.8||1,587||12.9||9.8||+62|
|Certificate I and II Level||103||0.8||1.4||121||1.0||1.4||-18|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,656||12.9||21.9||1,607||13.0||21.1||+49|
|Certificate Level, nfd||281||2.2||2.1||259||2.1||1.7||+22|
|Inadequately described or not stated||329||2.6||2.8||488||4.0||4.0||-159|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of South Perth in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 71.1% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 26.4% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of South Perth and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (42.4% compared to 27.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (12.9% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (26.4% compared to 33.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.8% compared to 10.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of South Perth between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+897 local workers)
- No qualification (-324 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+62 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+49 local workers)