Southern Downs Regional Council
Resident workers - Hours worked
41.3% of the resident workers in the Southern Downs Regional Council work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Southern Downs Regional Council's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Southern Downs Regional Council depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Southern Downs Regional Council||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,816||12.9||11.0||1,776||12.4||10.4||+40||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,351||9.6||9.4||1,317||9.2||8.8||+34||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,815||12.9||12.0||1,764||12.3||10.8||+51||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||2,395||17.0||19.2||2,427||16.9||18.1||-32||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,130||8.0||9.4||1,256||8.8||10.5||-126||22007|
|49 hours or more||2,655||18.8||16.6||2,774||19.3||18.4||-119||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Southern Downs Regional Council's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.2% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Southern Downs Regional Council and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.8% compared to 16.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.9% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.5% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.0% compared to 19.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Southern Downs Regional Council decreased by 314 people (3.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Southern Downs Regional Council between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-126 people)
- 49 hours or more (-119 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+51 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+40 people)