41.3% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Southern Downs Regional Council work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Southern Downs Regional Council's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Southern Downs Regional Council depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Southern Downs Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,816||12.9||11.0||1,776||12.4||10.4||+40|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,351||9.6||9.4||1,317||9.2||8.8||+34|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,815||12.9||12.0||1,764||12.3||10.8||+51|
|35 hours - 39 hours||2,395||17.0||19.2||2,427||16.9||18.1||-32|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,130||8.0||9.4||1,256||8.8||10.5||-126|
|49 hours or more||2,655||18.8||16.6||2,774||19.3||18.4||-119|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Southern Downs Regional Council's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.2% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Southern Downs Regional Council and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.9% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.0% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.5% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.8% compared to 16.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Southern Downs Regional Council decreased by 314 people (-3.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Southern Downs Regional Council between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-126 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-119 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+51 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+40 persons)