City of Stonnington
Employment by industry (FTE)
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Stonnington.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of the City of Stonnington's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Stonnington||2019/20||2004/05||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2004/05 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||83||0.1||3.2||84||0.2||3.6||+0|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||149||0.3||1.5||111||0.3||1.0||+38|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,642||8.4||4.7||4,083||9.3||5.5||+559|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||600||1.1||5.7||788||1.8||5.4||-188|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,715||3.1||1.9||1,778||4.1||2.7||-63|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,591||2.9||4.3||1,571||3.6||4.2||+20|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,459||4.4||1.7||1,310||3.0||1.5||+1,149|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||8,830||15.9||10.4||5,142||11.7||7.4||+3,688|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,103||3.8||3.2||1,751||4.0||3.4||+352|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,277||2.3||5.5||950||2.2||4.9||+327|
|Education and Training||3,967||7.1||8.1||3,266||7.5||7.0||+701|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||9,562||17.2||11.9||5,781||13.2||8.9||+3,781|
|Arts and Recreation Services||820||1.5||1.8||698||1.6||1.6||+122|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Stonnington in 2019/20 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (9,562 people or 17.2%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (8,830 people or 15.9%)
- Retail Trade (8,500 people or 15.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 26,892 people in total or 48.4% of the local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 11.9% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.4% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services and 8.6% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (1.8% compared to 9.3%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (15.3% compared to 8.6%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (15.9% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (17.2% compared to 11.9%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in the City of Stonnington increased by increased by 11,752 between 2004/05 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2004/05 and 2019/20 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+3,781 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+3,688 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (+2,191 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+1,149 full-time equivalent local workers)