Retail Trade is the largest employer in the City of Stonnington, making up 17.7% of total employment.
Census employment data presents the number of persons employed in each industry sector (full-time and part-time) in the City of Stonnington regardless of where they live. By comparing the number of jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see local economic strengths and weaknesses. By looking at how the number of jobs in each industry is changing over time, you can track how the structure of the local economy is changing. Go to the Employment locations page to see where employment is taking place across the City of Stonnington.
Note: Census employment figures are known to undercount employment by varying amounts depending on the Census year. All Census counts are an undercount of total population, and in addition, some people don’t state their workforce status or industry. Also counts by place of work exclude those with no fixed workplace address. For this reason, it is recommended that for total job numbers, users look at the Employment by industry (Total) modelled estimates which are updated on an annual basis, and based on the ABS Labour Force survey, less prone to undercount. The Census counts by industry are included here for a greater level of industry detail (3-digit ANZSIC).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Employment (Census) by industry sector|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||113||0.2||2.2||81||0.2||2.2||+32|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||102||0.2||1.1||151||0.3||1.1||-49|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,920||10.8||6.6||5,228||10.3||6.1||+692|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||537||1.0||4.7||710||1.4||4.7||-173|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,655||3.0||1.9||1,670||3.3||2.0||-15|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,504||2.7||3.9||1,616||3.2||4.1||-112|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,962||3.6||1.6||1,354||2.7||1.4||+608|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||6,646||12.1||7.9||5,813||11.5||7.8||+833|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,065||3.8||3.4||1,753||3.5||3.3||+312|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,186||2.2||5.3||1,031||2.0||5.3||+155|
|Education and Training||4,047||7.4||8.7||3,682||7.3||8.0||+365|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||8,660||15.8||12.5||7,667||15.1||11.6||+993|
|Arts and Recreation Services||913||1.7||1.9||777||1.5||1.7||+136|
|Industry not classified||2,331||4.2||4.7||1,276||2.5||2.4||+1,055|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the local workers in the City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Retail Trade (9,702 people or 17.7%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (8,660 people or 15.8%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (6,646 people or 12.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 25,008 people in total or 45.5% of the local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 10.2% in Retail Trade; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 7.9% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by local workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed in the field of Retail Trade (17.7% compared to 10.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed in the field of Manufacturing (1.8% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed in the field of Accommodation and Food Services (10.8% compared to 6.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed in the field of Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (12.1% compared to 7.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by local workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,055 local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+993 local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+833 local workers)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+692 local workers)