City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more male resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Stonnington than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Stonnington's male resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Stonnington or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Stonnington, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Stonnington - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||964||3.4||2.2||916||3.5||2.1||+48||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,924||10.2||17.8||2,629||10.0||18.2||+295||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||1,549||5.4||7.9||1,250||4.8||7.1||+299||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||240||0.8||2.2||277||1.1||2.1||-37||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||7,178||25.0||13.3||6,081||23.2||11.6||+1,097||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||2,965||10.3||5.4||2,775||10.6||4.7||+190||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||722||2.5||2.8||733||2.8||2.7||-11||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||26||0.1||0.1||13||0.0||0.1||+13||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||667||2.3||3.1||747||2.8||4.0||-80||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Stonnington shows that the three largest fields the male resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (7,178 people or 25.0%)
- Society and Culture (2,965 people or 10.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (2,924 people or 10.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 13,067 people in total or 45.5% of the male resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 13.3% in Management and Commerce; 5.4% in Society and Culture; and 17.8% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the male resident workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (25.0% compared to 13.3%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (10.3% compared to 5.4%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers qualified in Health (6.7% compared to 3.5%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (10.2% compared to 17.8%)
The number of male resident workers in the City of Stonnington increased by 2,420 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,097 males)
- Architecture and Building (+299 males)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+295 males)
- Health (+284 males)