Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Stonnington's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Stonnington depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Stonnington - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,927||10.5||12.0||5,235||10.3||11.4||+692|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,251||9.3||10.5||4,374||8.6||9.7||+877|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,998||8.8||11.2||4,456||8.7||10.1||+542|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,558||15.1||18.7||6,972||13.7||17.6||+1,586|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,317||11.2||9.2||6,155||12.1||10.2||+162|
|49 hours or more||11,299||20.0||13.7||10,997||21.6||15.2||+302|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Stonnington's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.1% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 67.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.8% compared to 11.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.1% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (11.2% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (20.0% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Stonnington increased by 3786 people (11.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Stonnington between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,736 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,586 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+877 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+692 persons)