City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Hours worked
62.1% of the male resident workers in the City of Stonnington work 40 or more hours, compared to 55.0% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Stonnington's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Stonnington depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Stonnington - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,240||7.8||8.0||1,873||7.1||7.0||+367||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,905||6.6||6.3||1,486||5.7||5.4||+419||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,794||6.3||7.0||1,710||6.5||6.3||+84||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,995||13.9||19.1||3,390||12.9||17.8||+605||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,544||12.4||11.7||3,423||13.0||12.9||+121||22007|
|49 hours or more||7,589||26.5||19.1||7,535||28.7||21.5||+54||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Stonnington's male resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 22.6% of the male resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 76.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 23.7% and 74.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the male resident workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers worked 49 hours or more (26.5% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.9% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 40 hours (23.3% compared to 24.1%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (6.3% compared to 7.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the male resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Stonnington increased by 1,722 people (8.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the male resident workers in the City of Stonnington between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+942 males)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+605 males)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+419 males)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+367 males)