City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Retail Trade) sales workers in the City of Stonnington than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Stonnington's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||187||3.5||5.6||180||3.8||6.0||+7||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||50||0.9||0.9||64||1.3||0.9||-14||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||320||6.0||6.5||311||6.5||7.2||+9||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||71||1.3||3.9||85||1.8||3.9||-14||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||36||0.7||0.5||47||1.0||0.9||-11||33000||P|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (2,445 people or 45.8%)
- Managers (1,282 people or 24.0%)
- Professionals (766 people or 14.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 4,493 people in total or 84.2% of the resident workers (Retail Trade).
In comparison, Victoria employed 53.9% in Sales Workers; 16.2% in Managers; and 5.6% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Professionals (14.4% compared to 5.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Managers (24.0% compared to 16.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Sales Workers (45.8% compared to 53.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Labourers (3.4% compared to 7.0%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Retail Trade)] in City of Stonnington increased by 559 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Retail Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed as:
- Sales Workers (+256 people)
- Professionals (+217 people)
- Managers (+62 people)