City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) professionals in the City of Stonnington than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Stonnington's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||84||4.1||9.5||66||3.4||10.1||+18||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||247||12.1||8.6||220||11.3||8.0||+27||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||298||14.6||15.9||357||18.3||16.9||-59||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||11||0.5||3.6||10||0.5||3.2||+1||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||17||0.8||1.0||39||2.0||1.8||-22||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) in City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (548 people or 26.8%)
- Managers (432 people or 21.2%)
- Labourers (327 people or 16.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,307 people in total or 64.0% of the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services).
In comparison, Victoria employed 12.1% in Professionals; 10.4% in Managers; and 36.4% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) employed as Professionals (26.8% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) employed as Managers (21.2% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) employed as Labourers (16.0% compared to 36.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (4.1% compared to 9.5%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services)] in City of Stonnington increased by 86 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed as:
- Managers (+71 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-59 people)
- Labourers (+53 people)