City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more male resident workers professionals in the City of Stonnington than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Stonnington's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Stonnington - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,586||9.0||20.9||2,436||9.3||22.0||+150||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,797||6.3||6.0||1,565||6.0||5.2||+232||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,135||7.4||6.6||2,135||8.1||6.8||0||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||531||1.9||9.8||535||2.0||10.1||-4||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||531||1.9||1.9||652||2.5||2.5||-121||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workers in City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (11,269 people or 39.3%)
- Managers (6,260 people or 21.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,586 people or 9.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 20,115 people in total or 70.1% of the male resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 19.9% in Professionals; 16.4% in Managers; and 20.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workers of the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers employed as Professionals (39.3% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.0% compared to 20.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (1.9% compared to 9.8%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Labourers (4.1% compared to 11.2%)
The number of people in the male resident workers ] in City of Stonnington increased by 2,429 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Stonnington were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,074 males)
- Managers (+617 males)
- Sales Workers (+345 males)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+232 males)