City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in the City of Stonnington have a higher proportion of people using public transport to get to work than Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the City of Stonnington's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing %||Number||%||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||24,703||43.7||51.3||23,308||45.8||43.6||+1,395||2001|
|Car, as passenger||1,316||2.3||4.6||1,406||2.8||2.3||-90||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||771||1.4||2.0||602||1.2||2.3||+169||2017|
|Worked at home||3,120||5.5||13.7||2,654||5.2||18.0||+466||2019|
|Did not go to work||4,254||7.5||14.2||4,481||8.8||13.4||-227||2020|
In 2016, there were 12,831 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in City of Stonnington, compared with 29,110 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Stonnington shows that 22.7% used public transport, while 51.5% used a private vehicle, compared with 8.1% and 55.8% respectively in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers of the City of Stonnington and Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Train (21.7% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Worked at home (5.5% compared to 13.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as driver (43.7% compared to 51.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Did not go to work (7.5% compared to 14.2%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers in the City of Stonnington between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Train (+2,887 people)
- Car, as driver (+1,395 people)
- Walked only (+875 people)
- Worked at home (+466 people)