City of Stonnington
Resident workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within the City of Stonnington, there is a higher proportion of resident All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the Victoria workforce.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the City of Stonnington's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with resident place of work for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|City of Stonnington||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||24,703||43.7||61.8||23,308||45.8||61.4||+1,395|
|Car, as passenger||1,316||2.3||4.0||1,406||2.8||4.6||-90|
|Other - multiple methods||771||1.4||1.2||602||1.2||1.1||+169|
|Worked at home||3,120||5.5||4.6||2,654||5.2||4.3||+466|
|Did not go to work||4,254||7.5||9.3||4,481||8.8||10.1||-227|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 15,867 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the City of Stonnington, compared with 26,318 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Stonnington shows that 28.1% used public transport, while 46.6% used a private vehicle, compared with 12.4% and 66.8% respectively in Victoria.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Stonnington and the Victoria workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as driver (43.7% compared to 61.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by train (21.7% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who walked only (7.3% compared to 3.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by tram (5.4% compared to 1.9%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Stonnington between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Train (+2,887 resident workers)
- Car, as driver (+1,395 resident workers)
- Walked only (+875 resident workers)
- Worked at home (+466 resident workers)