City of Stonnington
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In the City of Stonnington, 27.2% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.2% in Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Stonnington will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Stonnington;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Stonnington - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,841||10.6||13.1||5,257||10.4||13.8||+584|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,636||12.1||10.6||5,734||11.3||9.3||+902|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,367||11.6||13.3||6,374||12.6||14.4||-7|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||701||1.3||5.8||841||1.7||6.1||-140|
|Inadequately described or not stated||819||1.5||1.7||996||2.0||2.2||-177|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Stonnington in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (14,971 local workers or 27.2%)
- Sales Workers (8,334 local workers or 15.2%)
- Managers (8,107 local workers or 14.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 31,412 people in total or 57.2% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 9.7% as Sales Workers and 13.5% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Stonnington and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (15.2% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (1.3% compared to 5.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (27.2% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (5.8% compared to 9.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Stonnington between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,728 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+902 local workers)
- Managers (+801 local workers)
- Labourers (+733 local workers)