Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Swan's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Swan||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||10,987||17.5||16.2||9,512||18.1||16.7||+1,475|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,450||11.9||10.6||5,378||10.2||9.4||+2,072|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,266||14.8||13.0||8,588||16.3||14.4||+678|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,020||9.6||7.5||5,095||9.7||7.6||+925|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,066||1.7||1.7||849||1.6||1.5||+217|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Swan in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (10,987 people or 17.5%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,266 people or 14.8%)
- Professionals (8,778 people or 14.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 29,031 people in total or 46.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 16.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 20.5% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Swan and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (14.0% compared to 20.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.6% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.0% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.8% compared to 13.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Swan increased by 10,094 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Swan were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+2,072 persons)
- Professionals (+1,771 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+1,475 persons)
- Sales Workers (+1,103 persons)