Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Swan across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of Swan - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,486||11.7||11.9||5,374||10.6||10.8||+1,112|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,298||9.6||9.9||4,465||8.8||9.2||+833|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,682||10.3||10.6||4,614||9.1||9.5||+1,068|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,910||19.7||17.1||8,763||17.2||15.8||+2,147|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,389||9.7||9.4||5,796||11.4||11.0||-407|
|49 hours or more||8,249||14.9||17.7||9,290||18.2||20.2||-1,041|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Swan in 2016 compared to Western Australia within the City of Swan shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.7% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 63.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.4% and 61.9% respectively for Western Australia within the City of Swan.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Swan and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who did not work (3.2% compared to 4.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.7% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (19.2% compared to 17.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.9% compared to 17.7%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the City of Swan between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,147 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,112 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,068 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-1,041 local workers)