Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Swan - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,173||23.8||31.1||11,494||20.8||27.4||+3,679|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,038||11.0||10.9||5,970||10.8||10.8||+1,068|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,254||2.0||1.8||729||1.3||1.4||+525|
|Certificate III & IV Level||15,186||23.8||21.8||13,056||23.6||21.9||+2,130|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,165||1.8||1.7||1,187||2.1||2.1||-22|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,616||2.5||2.5||1,616||2.9||2.8||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Swan in 2021 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 62.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 35.1% had no qualifications, compared with 67.4% and 30.1% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Swan and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.8% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (35.1% compared to 30.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.8% compared to 21.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (2.0% compared to 1.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Swan between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,679 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,130 local workers)
- No qualification (+1,123 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,068 local workers)