Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Swan - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||11,494||20.8||27.4||7,889||15.5||23.2||+3,605|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,970||10.8||10.8||4,800||9.4||9.8||+1,170|
|Certificate I and II Level||729||1.3||1.4||698||1.4||1.4||+31|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,056||23.6||21.9||12,055||23.7||21.1||+1,001|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,187||2.1||2.1||894||1.8||1.7||+293|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,616||2.9||2.8||2,147||4.2||4.0||-531|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Swan in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 58.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 38.5% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Swan and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (20.8% compared to 27.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (38.5% compared to 33.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.6% compared to 21.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (2.9% compared to 2.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Swan between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,605 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,170 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,135 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,001 local workers)