Sydney Eastern Suburbs
Resident workers - Hours worked
53.5% of the resident workers in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Sydney Eastern Suburbs's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Sydney Eastern Suburbs||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12,720||9.6||10.8||11,557||9.4||10.4||+1,163||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||13,005||9.8||10.4||11,305||9.1||9.7||+1,700||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||11,787||8.9||10.5||10,488||8.5||9.8||+1,299||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||18,361||13.8||19.1||16,522||13.4||18.2||+1,839||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||13,943||10.5||9.1||14,415||11.7||10.0||-472||22007|
|49 hours or more||27,733||20.9||14.9||27,042||21.9||16.4||+691||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Sydney Eastern Suburbs's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.1% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 67.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Sydney Eastern Suburbs and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (20.9% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.1% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.8% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.9% compared to 10.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs increased by 5,728 people (6.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+3,670 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,839 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,700 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,299 people)