Professional, Scientific and Technical Services employs more of the Woollahra Municipal Council area's male resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Woollahra Municipal Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Woollahra Municipal Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Woollahra Municipal Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Woollahra Municipal Council area - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||55||0.4||2.9||42||0.3||2.8||+13|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||64||0.5||1.4||61||0.4||1.5||+3|
|Accommodation and Food Services||805||5.7||6.3||810||5.7||5.4||-5|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||400||2.8||6.8||351||2.5||6.7||+49|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||576||4.1||2.5||641||4.5||2.4||-65|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,134||15.2||4.8||2,090||14.8||4.3||+44|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||706||5.0||1.7||542||3.8||1.5||+164|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,815||20.0||8.4||2,693||19.1||7.6||+122|
|Administrative and Support Services||433||3.1||3.1||479||3.4||2.8||-46|
|Public Administration and Safety||510||3.6||6.4||538||3.8||6.2||-28|
|Education and Training||637||4.5||4.6||549||3.9||4.3||+88|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,027||7.3||5.3||940||6.7||4.4||+87|
|Arts and Recreation Services||393||2.8||1.6||321||2.3||1.4||+72|
|Industry not classified||696||4.9||5.5||357||2.5||2.5||+339|
Analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workforce in the Woollahra Municipal Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2,815 people or 20.0%)
- Financial and Insurance Services (2,134 people or 15.2%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,027 people or 7.3%)
In combination these three industries employed 5,976 people in total or 42.5% of the total male resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.4% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 4.8% in Financial and Insurance Services and 5.3% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workforce of the Woollahra Municipal Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (20.0% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (15.2% compared to 4.8%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workforce employed in Construction (6.1% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (2.8% compared to 7.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the male resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Woollahra Municipal Council area were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+339 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-266 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-178 resident workforce)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+164 resident workforce)