Woollahra Municipal Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Professional, Scientific and Technical Services employs more of Woollahra Municipal Council area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Woollahra Municipal Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Woollahra Municipal Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Woollahra Municipal Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Woollahra Municipal Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Greater Sydney%||Number||%||Greater Sydney%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||97||0.3||0.4||73||0.3||0.4||+24||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||87||0.3||0.8||108||0.4||0.9||-21||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,505||5.4||6.7||1,455||5.5||6.2||+50||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||626||2.2||5.0||589||2.2||5.3||+37||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,283||4.6||2.8||1,387||5.2||3.0||-104||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,383||12.1||6.4||3,305||12.4||6.6||+78||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,253||4.5||1.9||920||3.5||1.8||+333||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||5,386||19.2||9.8||4,993||18.8||9.6||+393||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,026||3.7||3.6||1,033||3.9||3.5||-7||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,017||3.6||5.5||985||3.7||5.6||+32||39000||P|
|Education and Training||2,000||7.1||8.0||1,747||6.6||7.6||+253||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,944||10.5||11.6||2,756||10.4||10.9||+188||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||742||2.6||1.7||652||2.5||1.6||+90||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||1,365||4.9||5.1||705||2.7||2.6||+660||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Woollahra Municipal Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5,386 people or 19.2%)
- Financial and Insurance Services (3,383 people or 12.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,944 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 11,713 people in total or 41.8% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Greater Sydney employed 9.8% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 6.4% in Financial and Insurance Services; and 11.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Woollahra Municipal Council area and Greater Sydney were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (19.2% compared to 9.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (12.1% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (3.9% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (2.4% compared to 5.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Woollahra Municipal Council area were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+660 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-451 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+393 resident workforce)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+333 resident workforce)