In Tablelands, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Tablelands - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||1,556||18.1||25.1||1,336||15.4||21.5||+220|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||864||10.1||10.9||736||8.5||9.3||+128|
|Certificate I and II Level||134||1.6||1.3||146||1.7||1.5||-12|
|Certificate III & IV Level||2,091||24.4||23.0||2,043||23.6||21.6||+48|
|Certificate Level, nfd||199||2.3||2.0||158||1.8||1.7||+41|
|Inadequately described or not stated||342||4.0||2.7||419||4.8||3.8||-77|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Tablelands in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 56.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 39.6% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Tablelands and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (18.1% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (39.6% compared to 35.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.4% compared to 23.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (4.0% compared to 2.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Tablelands between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-440 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+220 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+128 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+48 local workers)