There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in The Hills Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among The Hills Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in The Hills Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of The Hills Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|The Hills Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,188||2.7||1.8||1,889||2.6||1.9||+299|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||8,819||11.0||8.1||8,666||11.7||7.8||+153|
|Architecture and Building||3,289||4.1||1.7||2,935||4.0||1.4||+354|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||777||1.0||3.7||768||1.0||3.6||+9|
|Management and Commerce||17,633||22.0||29.3||14,982||20.3||26.8||+2,651|
|Society and Culture||6,150||7.7||6.5||4,872||6.6||5.5||+1,278|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,000||2.5||3.1||1,944||2.6||2.8||+56|
|Mixed Field Programmes||39||0.0||0.2||30||0.0||0.1||+9|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,737||2.2||2.2||2,146||2.9||3.1||-409|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in The Hills Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (17,633 people or 22.0%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (8,819 people or 11.0%)
- Society and Culture (6,150 people or 7.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 32,602 people in total or 40.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Administrative and Support Services workforce in The Hills Shire employed 29.3% in Management and Commerce; 8.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 6.5% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of The Hills Shire and the Administrative and Support Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (22.0% compared to 29.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (7.2% compared to 3.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (5.9% compared to 2.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (11.0% compared to 8.1%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in The Hills Shire increased by 6,205 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in The Hills Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+2,651 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+1,278 resident workers)
- Information Technology (+1,015 resident workers)
- Health (+960 resident workers)