The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
48.6% of the resident workers in The Hills Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for The Hills Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in The Hills Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|The Hills Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,263||11.6||10.8||8,070||10.9||10.4||+1,193||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,021||10.0||10.4||7,181||9.7||9.7||+840||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,384||9.2||10.5||6,630||9.0||9.8||+754||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,350||16.7||19.1||10,937||14.8||18.2||+2,413||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,246||9.0||9.1||7,503||10.1||10.0||-257||22007|
|49 hours or more||13,532||16.9||14.9||14,153||19.1||16.4||-621||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by The Hills Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.7% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.9% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.7% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.2% compared to 10.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in The Hills Shire increased by 4,135 people (8.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in The Hills Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+2,600 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,413 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,193 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+840 people)