The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Hours worked
33.5% of the female resident workers in The Hills Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 31.0% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for The Hills Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in The Hills Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|The Hills Shire - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,995||15.8||14.6||5,427||15.6||14.8||+568||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,746||15.1||14.7||5,346||15.3||14.3||+400||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,107||13.4||14.6||4,728||13.6||14.0||+379||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||6,634||17.4||19.2||5,437||15.6||18.5||+1,197||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,451||6.4||6.5||2,447||7.0||7.1||+4||22007|
|49 hours or more||3,221||8.5||8.4||3,169||9.1||8.8||+52||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by The Hills Shire's female resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 47.7% of the female resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 50.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 48.0% and 50.3% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the female resident workers of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workers worked 40 hours (18.6% compared to 16.1%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (15.8% compared to 14.6%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.4% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.4% compared to 14.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the female resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in The Hills Shire increased by 2,101 people (12.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the female resident workers in The Hills Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,197 females)
- 40 hours (+848 females)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+568 females)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+400 females)