The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of The Hills Shire’s female resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which The Hills Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in The Hills Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in The Hills Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|The Hills Shire - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||198||0.5||1.4||181||0.5||1.4||+17||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||178||0.5||0.4||171||0.5||0.5||+7||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,946||5.1||7.9||1,799||5.2||7.8||+147||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||569||1.5||2.3||557||1.6||2.4||+12||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||697||1.8||1.8||641||1.8||2.1||+56||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,483||6.5||5.1||2,185||6.3||5.6||+298||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||811||2.1||1.9||655||1.9||1.8||+156||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,517||9.2||7.7||3,191||9.2||7.6||+326||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,136||3.0||3.9||1,026||2.9||3.6||+110||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,748||4.6||5.7||1,479||4.2||5.6||+269||39000||P|
|Education and Training||5,474||14.4||12.5||4,846||13.9||11.8||+628||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,926||18.2||20.5||6,018||17.3||19.5||+908||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||534||1.4||1.5||479||1.4||1.5||+55||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||1,432||3.8||3.8||765||2.2||2.2||+667||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the female resident workforce in The Hills Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,926 people or 18.2%)
- Education and Training (5,474 people or 14.4%)
- Retail Trade (4,412 people or 11.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 16,812 people in total or 44.2% of the total female resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 20.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 12.5% in Education and Training; and 11.5% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the female resident workforce of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workforce employed in Education and Training (14.4% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workforce employed in Wholesale Trade (3.9% compared to 2.4%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (5.1% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (18.2% compared to 20.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the female resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in The Hills Shire were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+908 female resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+667 female resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+628 female resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-480 female resident workforce)