Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
- Excel full
- Word full
|Local sales by industry sector|
|The Hills Shire - Constant prices||2019/20||2014/15||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||New South Wales||$m||%||New South Wales||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||87.8||0.5||1.1||96.1||0.7||1.8||-8.3|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||247.4||1.4||2.7||218.8||1.6||2.8||+28.6|
|Accommodation and Food Services||388.1||2.1||2.7||387.8||2.9||3.0||+0.3|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||303.4||1.7||4.4||242.0||1.8||4.4||+61.4|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||482.4||2.7||3.3||294.0||2.2||2.6||+188.3|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,037.8||5.7||6.5||957.3||7.1||7.0||+80.5|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||3,276.7||18.1||16.2||2,632.9||19.5||16.8||+643.8|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,374.3||7.6||8.6||1,115.8||8.3||7.8||+258.5|
|Administrative and Support Services||446.4||2.5||3.9||493.1||3.7||4.4||-46.6|
|Public Administration and Safety||286.7||1.6||3.9||250.2||1.9||3.8||+36.5|
|Education and Training||552.7||3.1||3.6||438.3||3.2||3.6||+114.4|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,055.5||5.8||5.9||661.4||4.9||5.1||+394.1|
|Arts and Recreation Services||167.8||0.9||1.1||146.9||1.1||1.0||+20.9|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions) NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id (informed decisions). Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in The Hills Shire in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Construction ($5,448million or 30.1%)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($3,277million or 18.1%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services ($1,374million or 7.6%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $10,099 million in total or 55.8% of the total local sales by total industry in the The Hills Shire.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in New South Wales accounted for 19.9% in Construction; 16.2% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services and 8.6% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between local sales by industries of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Construction (30.1% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Transport, Postal and Warehousing (1.7% compared to 4.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Public Administration and Safety (1.6% compared to 3.9%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (18.1% compared to 16.2%)
The total local sales by industry in The Hills Shire $increased by 4,618 million between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in The Hills Shire were for:
- Construction (+$2,394 million)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$644 million)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$394 million)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+$259 million)