The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in The Hills Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of The Hills Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|The Hills Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Australia%||Number||%||Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||8,348||10.4||13.5||8,283||11.2||14.2||+65||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,226||7.8||10.8||5,232||7.1||9.7||+994||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||13,009||16.2||13.6||12,872||17.4||14.7||+137||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,426||3.0||6.3||2,296||3.1||6.6||+130||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,382||1.7||1.7||1,110||1.5||1.9||+272||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in The Hills Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (23,236 people or 29.0%)
- Managers (14,081 people or 17.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (13,009 people or 16.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 50,326 people in total or 62.8% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Australia employed 22.2% in Professionals; 13.0% in Managers; and 13.6% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of The Hills Shire and Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (29.0% compared to 22.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (17.6% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (4.7% compared to 9.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.0% compared to 6.3%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in The Hills Shire increased by 6,211 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in The Hills Shire were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,868 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+994 people)
- Managers (+974 people)
- Labourers (+471 people)