The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more male resident workers (Manufacturing) managers in The Hills Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of The Hills Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|The Hills Shire - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||653||20.1||30.3||940||22.6||31.6||-287||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||29||0.9||0.6||24||0.6||0.5||+5||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||208||6.4||4.2||233||5.6||4.1||-25||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||218||6.7||16.5||273||6.6||17.2||-55||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||35||1.1||1.3||52||1.2||1.7||-17||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workers (Manufacturing) in The Hills Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (1,118 people or 34.4%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (653 people or 20.1%)
- Professionals (595 people or 18.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,366 people in total or 72.7% of the male resident workers (Manufacturing).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.5% in Managers; 30.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 9.3% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workers (Manufacturing) of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Managers (34.4% compared to 17.5%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Labourers (5.6% compared to 16.7%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (20.1% compared to 30.3%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers (Manufacturing) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (6.7% compared to 16.5%)
The number of people in the male resident workers (Manufacturing)] in The Hills Shire decreased by 914 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the male resident workers (Manufacturing) between 2011 and 2016 in The Hills Shire were for those employed as:
- Managers (-295 males)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-287 males)
- Professionals (-106 males)
- Sales Workers (-89 males)