The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more female resident workers professionals in The Hills Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of The Hills Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|The Hills Shire - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,348||3.5||4.2||1,249||3.6||4.3||+99||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,210||11.1||15.1||3,576||10.3||13.7||+634||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,837||25.9||22.0||9,987||28.6||24.5||-150||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||204||0.5||1.3||209||0.6||1.3||-5||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||587||1.5||1.6||478||1.4||1.6||+109||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the female resident workers in The Hills Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (12,028 people or 31.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,837 people or 25.9%)
- Managers (4,488 people or 11.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 26,353 people in total or 69.3% of the female resident workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 27.2% in Professionals; 22.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 10.6% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the female resident workers of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workers employed as Professionals (31.6% compared to 27.2%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (25.9% compared to 22.0%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (11.1% compared to 15.1%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers employed as Labourers (3.0% compared to 6.3%)
The number of people in the female resident workers ] in The Hills Shire increased by 3,185 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the female resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in The Hills Shire were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,628 females)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+634 females)
- Managers (+605 females)
- Sales Workers (+175 females)